Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
Hello and good afternoon. Is it OK to Dropbox you with two Hyper Suprime-Cam FITS files? They are about 55mb each. The image files open, but the headers have 2000-01-01 as the observing date, which is wrong as the files are from 2015/16.

HSC images are very clear but the transient hunters at Galaxy Zoo cannot report at least ten SN as not one program does everything i.e. opens the image and gives the correct headers. It would be step forward for us as this is a survey that is very useful.

Some links to HSC are:

https://hsc-release.mtk.nao.ac.jp/doc/
https://hsc-release.mtk.nao.ac.jp/doc/index.php/data-access__pdr3/

The relevant files I wish to send to you would help report possible transient:
ra=16:04:30.30 dec=43:32:13.3
https://www.legacysurvey.org/viewer?ra=241.1262&dec=43.5369&layer=hsc-dr2&zoom=15

Thanks again

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Yes, send links to some example files that you need to work with.

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
Thankyou for your work - it will be worthwhile I hope. Any report made using data from AstroImageJ will be credited as we have done when using other software.

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Hi Rick,

In one of the files that you sent, I see that the DATE-OBS fits header, which is the default used by AIJ, contains '2000-01-01T11:58:55.816', so indeed the timing will show up in AIJ correspondingly. If that date is indeed wrong, you'd have to edit the fits header value to correct the timing so that AIJ will report correctly. You could do that by hand using the AIJ fits header editor, but if you need to analyze a bunch of images, a python script to modify the time would save a lot of hand-editing time. Another approach would be to run your analysis, ignoring the timing. Then save the measurements table and open it in a spreadsheet program to edit the time. Then save as a tab-delimited file and reopen in AIJ for further analysis.

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
OK thanks. Python scripts are beyond me so I guess I'll try a combination of software to achieve a result. Using other software I have found a value on the header:

DATE-AVG= '2015-07-14 T 09:26:31.967304111'   /    TAI date at middle of observation

which seems to correspond to the HSC site file finder. I've never used that value before as a guide but it seems the easiest way to proceed.

However that software cannot open the image but AIJ can, so I will use one with the other

Best get on the case!

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as 2015ef https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015ef

AstroImageJ is credited in the Photometry section. Now for the next one...

(Image Removed R.N.)

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Hi Rick,

If the mid-time is in the header as a JD time, you can extract it from the header when multi-aperture runs by adding it to the comma separated list in Aperture Settings, and then select it as the x-axis column in multiplot. This would avoid having to manually change the times.

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

I looked at one of the files you sent. The only other time-related FITS header keyword I see is MJD-OBS and the value corresponds to year 2000. I'd sure be curious to know where the DATE-AVG time comes from if you know.

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

I looked deeper at one of the images you provided and it has two fits headers, as reported by SAO DS9. The second header still has DATE-OBS = 2000-01-01T11:58:55.816, but it also has a keyword DATE-AVG = 2015-07-15T09:26:19.722067773. To support this would take two different mods in AIJ to fix. First, we need to somehow know to open the other header, and then we'd need to offer to use the DATE-AVE time instead of DATE-OBS. We'll add a feature request for this, but it will unfortunately not be a quick fix.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as AT 2015eh https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015eh

AIJ is credited in the Photometry section. Thankyou!. I guess this must be near the initial explosion as the transient gets brighter over time. G-band AbMag -15.74. Headers

Image Removed (R.N.)

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as AT 2016jkd https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2016jkd

AIJ credited in Photometry section. Thankyou. The red object next to the SN (green) could be a galaxy but it has no name in surveys.

Image Removed (R.N.)

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as AT 2015ei https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015ei

AIJ is credited in the Photometry section. Thankyou! Reasonably straightforward SN

Image Removed (R.N.)

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as: AT 2015ej https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015ej

AstroImageJ credited in Photometry section. Thankyou! A bright SN; although the Apparent magnitude is 22.24, the Absolute magnitude works out as -19.40. Possibly a Type 1a considering these look like two old ellipticals merging.

Image Removed (R.N.)

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as: AT 2016jke  https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2016jke

AstroImageJ is credited in the photometry section. Thankyou!

Image Removed (R.N.)

Transient reported as: AT 2015ek https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015ek

AstroImageJ is credited in the Photometry section. Thankyou! Perhaps a #hostless SN?

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as 2015el https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015el

AstroImageJ credited in Photometry section. Thankyou! Straightforward SN from HSC.

Transient reported as: AT 2015em https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015em

AstroImageJ is credited within the photometry section. Thankyou! A large SN if compared to the core.

Re: Hyper Suprime-Cam Headers

Rick_N.
This post was updated on .
Transient reported as AT 2015en https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015en

AstroImageJ is credited in the photometry section. Thankyou! A faint SN but a long way away with an Absolute magnitude of -18.

Image removed

Transient reported as AT 2015eo https://www.wis-tns.org/object/2015eo

AstroImageJ is credited in the Photometry section. Thankyou!

Image removed
12