installation of the AstroimageJ

Santosh Joshi
I am using linux fedora 23 with ram 4gb.

While I am running astroimagej or aij from terminal, I am getting following message

Can you please help me.

Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Hi Santosh,

First I will include the info I sent previous in case others are
following this thread.

---------------------------

If you have 4GB ram, you need to change the line that defines the memory
allocation in the default script that starts AIJ.
Current, that is apparently set for 8GB, which is more than you
mentioned that your system has installed.
I would try 3GB instead, so change
-Xmx8192m
-Xmx3072m
in the corresponding line of the startup script.

--------------------------

Just to be clear, you now get the new messages after changing to -Xmx3072m ?

If so, could you post the contents of the AIJ startup script, and the
version of Java that is installed on your machine?

Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

johnk
Could you do run "free" on the command line and post the output here.  For example it might be

john@arion:~/desk> free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:      32930652    7966696   24963956    1546444     665252    5518800
-/+ buffers/cache:    1782644   31148008
Swap:      2103292          0    2103292

This will show us your computer's memory and usage.

Also post the command line you are using to start AIJ.  If you are running the recommended script that would be perhaps in /usr/local/bin you can "cat" its contents and show the result.  For example

john@arion:~/desk> cat /usr/local/bin/astroimagej
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/astroimagej/
java -Xmx8192m -jar /usr/local/astroimagej/ij.jar
exit

This will show us how much memory you are requesting.

The error message suggests that you have asked for more memory than the computer can supply and I've seen it when the java request is for more than half of the physical memory the machine has.

Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Santosh Joshi
Thanks John ! Your inputs  worked !

Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Santosh Joshi
Thanks Karen. The problem is now solved...

Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Hi AIJ community! Has anyone with Linux experience seen the missing text behavior shown in the AIJ menu images below in a Linux installation? Any ideas for Santosh would be appreciated!

Re: Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Santosh Joshi
Dear Karen,
                  I am extremely thankful to you for the quick response.
Previously i did not send the information asked by John because the AstroImageJ has been running in my system and same I acknowledge through the AstroimagesJ forum. However, below is the message I could see ....

aries@lenovo ~]$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:        3930268     1715660      431676      218956     1782932     1700416
Swap:        999420           0      999420

aries@lenovo ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/astroimagej
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/AstroImageJ/
java -Xmx1574m -jar /usr/local/AstroImageJ/ij.jar
exit

I am sorry for the inconvenience....

Regards

Santosh

On 25 January 2017 at 14:10, Karen Collins <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Santosh,

I have honestly never seen the behavior shown in your images. I really don't have any ideas what is going wrong here, and I don't have enough linux experience to give any detailed guidance. However, my best guess is that this is a memory problem or the lack of particular fonts installed on your system. Installing fonts to use AIJ has never been required to my knowledge, but I wonder if it is a language or region option in the linux installation.

I am hoping that John may have more specific ideas, but as far as I can tell, you still haven't provided the information John asked for by typing the "free" and "cat /usr/local/bin/astroimagej" commands. That request is in this email thread below if you want to look at the details. I expect providing the information he asked for would be helpful in making suggestions for you to try.

Karen

Re: Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Re: Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Santosh Joshi
Hi John,
            Thank you very much for your kind support.

I am using Fedora Core 23 linux operating system.
Window manager Gnome.

java version "1.6.0_20"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

I have downloaded java version "1.8.0_112" and installed but still i can see the java version "1.6.0_20"

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards

Santosh

On 26 January 2017 at 00:34, John Kielkopf <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is certainly unusual, and I don't think it is AIJ itself, but probably something about the  x-windows environment and manager in your installation.   I can try to duplicate it here if you will tell me

1. What Linux OS are using, and what version of it
2. What window manager do you have running, e.g KDE, Gnome, xfce (highly recommended, clean, simple)
3. What java version are you running, and have you done anything unusual to modify the the installation of aij, say by moving files around or changing permissions?

You an get the java version from the command line with

java --version

It might return something like this:

java version "1.8.0_112"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.112-b15, mixed mode

John

--
John Kielkopf
Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Fax:502.852.0742

Re: Re: installation of the AstroimageJ

Santosh Joshi
Dear John and Kareen,
                                  Sorry for bothering you again. This is just to inform that the display problem has been now resolved. I think the problem was with my laptop. When I install AstroimageJ  in other computer it is working fine.

Thanks a lot.