Using previous apertures seems to reinstate previous settings

Using previous apertures seems to reinstate previous settings

asteroidguy
In the multi-aperture dialog of AIJ 3.2.1db, I found that whenever I am reusing previously defined apertures, some of the settings in this window are ignored. Instead, it appears to me that the settings that were originally used when these apertures were defined are reapplied.

Example:
I define a few apertures with "reposition aperture to object centroid" disabled, and exctract photometry.
Later, I am selecting "use previous x apertures" and enable "reposition aperture to object centroid".
As a result, the apertures are not repositioned to the centroids, although this option was selected. Only when I disable the "use previous apertures" option and redefine all apertures again, the apertures reposition according to the centroids.
Therefore, it seems to me that apertures have some features that are inherited when they get reused, independent of the new settings on the multi-aperture measurement window.

I need to do systematic testing which other settings in the dialog box are affected, and if a downgrade to 3.2.0 resolves the issue.

Has anyone else observed this behavior?

Re: Using previous apertures seems to reinstate previous settings

The "reposition aperture to object centroid" (let's just call it "centroid") option is applicable on a per-aperture basis. It is simply an initial setting of the centroid button () above the image display. Because of the confusion (by more than one user), I am planning to relabel the button to "initial centroid button setting" in the next build.

The state of the centroid button can be changed before the placement of each new aperture. So when you recall previous aperture settings, the per-aperture centroid settings are also recalled, regardless of the setting of the centroid option. If you want to toggle the centroid state for a particular aperture after placing it (or after it has been recalled via "use previous n apertures"), simply <alt>-left-click inside the aperture and the setting will be reversed. There is currently no way to change the setting for all apertures at once. Each aperture that needs to be changed requires an <alt>-left-click.

Re: Using previous apertures seems to reinstate previous settings

As of the daily build on 10/24/2017, the Multi-Aperture option "reposition aperture to object centroid" has been
relabeled "Centroid aperture (initial setting)".

Re: Using previous apertures seems to reinstate previous settings

asteroidguy
Thanks for the heads-up, Karen! I indeed misunderstood this setting. The new label was definitely a good idea.

Good to know that some of the apertures can be placed statically, while others still reposition on the centroid.