Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
Hi,

I have three questions on AIJ v5,

1. Can I use a combination of Auto radius and variable aperture?

2. After clicking the SIMBAD and SkyMap in the coordinate converter tool, the relevant websites pop up only when AIJ is closed.

3. The problems remains as reported in http://astroimagej.170.s1.nabble.com/Image-Display-Interface-td30.html#a34, as shown attached.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
I'm using Fedora 35 linux.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

Some quick responses to get started:

1) They should work together, but it might be best to manually choose a larger initial aperture size than the auto-radius would select for photometry. That's because the PSF needs to be fully sampled to get a good estimate. Other than that, are you seeing any specific problems?

2) More on this later, but what is the default browser you are using, or does it happen with multiple browsers?

3)What is screen pixel (or effective pixel) resolution of your screen? Is the image size limited by the vertical the vertical dimension? If you grab the lower-left corner and change the size of the image display, does the problem resolve?

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

Riccardo Papini
Hi Karen,

I have the same problem with the second information bar (AIJ 5.0.2.01).

My OS is Linux Ubuntu 20.04.04 LTS, screen resolution 1920x1080. The image is not vertically limited and grabbing or maximizing does not change the situation.

Riccardo

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
Hi Karen,

1) I'm not seeing any specific question. I just want to make a confirmation.

2) The default browser is firefox. After I change the default browser into microsoft edge, the problem remains.

3) The resolution of my screen is 3000x2000, the scale is set to be 200%. Changing the display size does not solve the problem. On an external monitor with 3840x2160 and scale of 175%, the problem remains.

Thank you!

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

Hi Ricardo,

Thank you for the confirmation. Do you see the problems in #2 also?

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

Riccardo Papini
No, Karen. Both pop up properly bringing the windows to the top of the display. AIJ remains open.

Riccardo

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

keastrid
Hi,

it looks like Fedora doesn't include the xdg-utils package (more specifically xdg-open), which AIJ is using to open the default browser.

I'll for an alternative that can be implemented by AIJ.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
The display of Multi-Aperture Measurements is also incomplete, as shown attached.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

I think maybe you have only 1 image open, so I think the display may be complete, although it does appear to have a duplicate shifted version behind it. We'll look into this along with the other display problems.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
After unchecking 'Use astro-window when images are opened' in the 'preferences' of the display window, the next time an image is opened, a 'naked' image window is opened, as shown in the first picture. After a click on it, it is closed and the display window is opened. The information is displayed correctly, as shown in the second picture.

However, this mode cannot be used in DP when doing data reduction in batch mode. There seem to be only one image in the display window and there is no prompt for placing apertures.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

We have another Fedora 35 user that reports they can not reproduce this problem. Do you still see the display issues if your scaling is set to 100%. I know this might not be useable for you, but as a test it might be helpful for our debugging.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

When you say there is no prompt to place apertures, do you have the M-Ap option enabled in the DP panel? If so, then what you mean is that the Multi-Aperture panel set-up panel never displays after your first image is calibrated?

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
I checked as you said. After setting the scaling as 100%, I deleted the directory of .astroimagej in the home directory, and opened an image in AIJ, the display was correct. Then I closed the display window, opened the image another time, the display problem showed up again. I set the scaling back as 200%, deleted the directory of .astroimagej, the display was correct the first time an image was opened but was wrong for the next times. It seems the scaling has nothing to do with the display problem.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
Yes, I have this option enabled. I mean there is no window popped up to prompt me to place apertures in the display window.

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

Could you experiment to see if any of these options in Image_Display > Preferences cause the problem to appear or go away?

Re: Questions on AIJ v5

wqso
The problem remains after I uncheck any one, two or all of the three options.