Problem w/WASP-12b example data

guy

Problem w/WASP-12b example data

guy
Hello,
I successfully installed AstroImageJ 3.2.0 on an Asus ChromeBook with Ubuntu 14.04LTS. It seems to be working fine, but I have two small issues :
1) I wished to use WASP-12b data in http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/examples/WASP-12b_example_calibrated_images.tar.gz to train myself on AstroImageJ. However I was unable to download this very large file (4.3G) despite 3-4 tries. The download always fails before completion, I don't know if this is due to the server or to my computer. Could you advise me on a site were I could get similar data more easily (This is just for training with generating a light curve, so it could be on any object, not necessarily WASP-12b)?
2) the updater says I'm using 3.2.0 and the menu suggests me to upgrade to 3.2.0, so I did not do anything, is that OK ?

Regards,
Guy

Re: Problem w/WASP-12b example data

ncwolfie
Hello,

Guy Wells..per chance?

You should be able to find some sample data here I believe. Just getting started with AstroImageJ myself.
http://var2.astro.cz/ETD/archive.php

Regards,
Randy

Re: Problem w/WASP-12b example data

Hi Guy,

An alternate dataset, an AIJ-based guide, and other great information on exoplanet transit observing is available at
http://www.astrodennis.com/ .

AIJ Version 3.2.0 is currently the latest release of AIJ, so you do not need to update.

Karen

guy

Re: Problem w/WASP-12b example data

guy
Hello,
Thank you Randy and Karen for your answers I checked http://var2.astro.cz/ETD/archive.php and http://www.astrodennis.com/, both seem very interesting.
Randy : sorry no chance, just another guy ;-)
In the meantime I was finally able to successfully download WASP-12b from astro louisville, the data consists in 230 images. For the time being, I just inspected a few of them with astroimagej and other fits viewer (except ds9, because strangely these images make ds9 crash on my computer), they seem OK to me, the stars seem to be a little out of focus, is that for a better photometric accuracy ? I am looking forward to processing the whole set with astroimagej, I think this will be very exciting

Thanks again
Guy

Re: Problem w/WASP-12b example data

Guy asked:

"the stars seem to be a little out of focus, is that for a better photometric accuracy ?"

Yes, the telescope was slightly defocused to improve the photometric precision.

Karen