AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

odie714
Hi,

I am an undergrad student trying to use AstroImageJ and I have run into major problems trying to get this program to work for me. First, it was nearly impossible to get the correct version of Java I needed installed properly on my machine. Then, I kept getting errors saying AIJ just wont open on my machine, even after forcing my machine to open apps from any developer. But, I found a fix for that too, and now it opens properly, but it isn't AIJ.

Don't get me wrong, it's the correct application downloaded from the correct place, but it only has the functionality of ImageJ. There are no AIJ plugins, not even the update one, and no hint of anything astro related anywhere. However, in the "About" panel it still shows it is definitely AIJ and is up to date.

I think this is a compatibility problem with the new MacOS Catalina and I have no idea how to solve it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

Hi ,

Have you already followed the installation workaround here for more recent Mac OS versions?

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/OS-X-10-12-10-13-and-10-14-Installation-Workaround-for-AIJ-td567.html

Karen

On 10/2/2019 11:41 AM, odie714 [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
[...]

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/AIJ-install-in-MacOS-Catalina-stripped-down-tp1223.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Yes I have. The program opens and works fine, but just has no AIJ related plugins or capabilities, though it says it still is AIJ.

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

odie714

for reference, this is what I see. It says AstroImageJ but it has none of the functionality beyond ImageJ. No plugins, nothing. I've used the workaround you mentioned and the program opens correctly, but that doesn't fix anything. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the program and java. Please let me know what you think, thanks.

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

mjperson
I had this issue with a student last night.  Having her rerun the:

xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/AstroImageJ

and then rebooting

fixed it.

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

Willie
I upgraded to Catalina and then to 10.15.1 last night and now have a problem.  When I attempt to Open AIJ I get the message:

which leads me to  https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

This page was last updated on Oct 26, 2017.  I download and attempt to use the installer and get the message:

Ignoring the warning and continuing with the installer produces the following error.

I have followed the instructions from

    http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/OS-X-10-12-10-13-and-10-14-Installation-Workaround-for-AIJ-td567.html

As well as trying to reboot as suggested in the above message from mjperson.

Suggestions?

Willie

Willie Strickland
Meyer Observatory

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

Willie
I found a solution and posted it as a new thread.

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Reinstalling-Java-for-OS-X-2017-001-on-MacOS-Catalina-tp1241.html

Willie Strickland
Meyer Observatory

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

odie714
This fix worked perfectly for installing java, but it still doesnt fix my main issue. In fact, if i reinstall AIJ from scratch and follow your instructions everything install properly but it says "The application ASTROIMAGEJ64" cannot be opened." I still cant use the program at all

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

sengle01
A student of mine using Catalina has also had no luck with any of the posted solutions.

odie714, did you ever manage to find a satisfactory solution?

Is the problem persisting for any other Catalina users?

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

odie714
I have still yet to find an answer/solution. I have been working by SSH'ing into another machine. Still hoping someone can solve this and make my life easier

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

mjperson
The solution to the "cannot be opened problem" is to repair the permissions on the JavaApplicatoonStub

Every time I install on a new machine I need to do this:

cd /Applications/AstroImageJ/AstroImageJ64.app/Contents/MacOS
chmod a+x JavaApplicationStub

That seems to get rid of the "This application can not be opened" error.

Good luck!

-Mike Person
mjperson@mit.edu

Re: AIJ install in MacOS Catalina stripped down

Thanks for logging this solution. I haven't had this specific problem, but I'm sure someone else has or will.

Karen

On 1/10/2020 1:55 PM, mjperson [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
The solution to the "cannot be opened problem" is to repair the permissions on the JavaApplicatoonStub

Every time I install on a new machine I need to do this:

cd /Applications/AstroImageJ/AstroImageJ64.app/Contents/MacOS
chmod a+x JavaApplicationStub

That seems to get rid of the "This application can not be opened" error.

Good luck!

-Mike Person
[hidden email]

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/AIJ-install-in-MacOS-Catalina-stripped-down-tp1223p1272.html