rebinning in astroimagej

cduston
Hello,
     For various (stupid) reasons I have a light image and a dark image with different binning. Now I know how to avoid that at the telescope, but I want to try to use the darks I have. I notice that imageJ has a binning function (under Image->Transform) which AstroimageJ does not have. Is there a reason for that? Can I rebin my images with AstroimageJ?

Re: rebinning in astroimagej

Hi,
The  Image->Transform->Bin option must be part of a newer release of IJ than AIJ currently uses (there are some complications that I need to work out to update to the latest version). I see that the plugin is available separately, so I'll plan to include that in the next build.

However, have you tried the Image->Scale option? It appears to provide a function that I believe is essentially binning. Could you let me know if that works for you, and if not, let me know the difference in the two functionalities?

Re: rebinning in astroimagej

cduston
Hello,

      I tried that Image -> Scale, and that seems to have worked. I will say that the functionality of Image -> Scale is a little unclear to me, in regards to the  "average when downsizing" checkbox. If checked, ok I understand the pixels will be averaged. But if it's *not* checked, it is using a median combination? A sum? The advantage of the Binner plug-in (which I found and tried in AIJ) is you have clear options, mean, median, max, min.

But yes, for this particular use Scale will do the job.  Thanks!

Re: rebinning in astroimagej

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tried the scale functionality without the averaging when downsizing checkbox
selected, so I am not sure of the functionality at this time. However, I think the Bin plugin will be a useful addition
AIJ, so I will probably even add it to the AIJ Image display menus as part of the next build.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Karen