meridian flip

bryan martin
I had to flip last nite.  I did a plate solve on first image and image after flip and replaced those in the pipeline out folder.  Followed advice from earlier posts about latest build and settings for Ra and Dec on aperature placement.  My files were out of order in the pipeline out folder but did not think that would matter  Error regarding centroiding and the attached snip of what was on screen.  Next steps?

many thanks

Re: meridian flip

bryan martin
Update

I believe the centroid error was a guiding problem after the flip
still hung up on plate solve with astrometry.net on the first image and first image after flip.
when I load as virtual stack and play through the images to the post flip image it will jump back to the first image when I plate solve the first flip image.

When I plate solve a new file WCS is created in the pipeline out file . . . what do I do with that?

thanks
bryan martin

Re: meridian flip

Hi Bryan,

Regarding your first post, the images do not need to be in order on your hard drive, but it's best if they are in order once loaded into the image stack to reduce image-to-image shift in the case of imperfect tracking and guiding. If your tracking and guiding is good, the time ordering is less important. There are various settings in import image sequence to accomplish the ordering, but if those do not work and you need the time ordering for whatever reason, you'll need to somehow manually rename the files so that they are ordered in sequence after being read into the image stack.

Regarding "when I load as virtual stack and play through the images to the post flip image it will jump back to the first image when I plate solve the first flip image", I'm not 100% sure what you are describing, but it is possible that the Astrometry Setup panel option "Process Stack" is enabled and might be causing the return to image slice 1. In that case, plate-solves will always start at the "Start Slice" specified. To plate solve the specific image currently displayed in the image stack, disable the "Process Stack" option.

Regarding "When I plate solve a new file WCS is created in the pipeline out file . . . what do I do with that?", assuming you are running photometry on the images in the pipelineout folder, that's where you'd want the WCS information. Assuming you already have the stack open, you wouldn't need to reload the stack since the new info is also added to the respective image in image stack as well.

Karen

On 5/30/2021 4:02 PM, bryan martin [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Update

I believe the centroid error was a guiding problem after the flip
still hung up on plate solve with astrometry.net on the first image and first image after flip.
when I load as virtual stack and play through the images to the post flip image it will jump back to the first image when I plate solve the first flip image.

When I plate solve a new file WCS is created in the pipeline out file . . . what do I do with that?

thanks
bryan martin

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/meridian-flip-tp1576p1577.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: meridian flip

bryan martin
Working on MFlip again
Plate solve first image and first post flip image . . .I can see a large constellation star noted in yellow after PS so I think that is working
then multiap photometry get error: "WCS mode requested but no valid WCS coordinate"
Seems like the plate solve is not making it onto FITS header, although I do see RA and DEC coords?

next steps?

bryan