hardware recommendations

bryan martin
Am spending a lot of time with my slow computer processing images.  I have a newer Dell with an AMD chip and 2 cores @ 3.1Ghz and 8 GB.  Each image takes 8 to 10 seconds to load during calibration and if I have to align the stack takes another 8 to 10 seconds.  Have optimized and cleaned as much as I can.

Recommendations for a computer set up that will speed up AIJ?

Am I missing something else?

thanks

bryan

Re: hardware recommendations

Hi Bryan,

Your AIJ performance sounds extremely slow compared to what I typically see. Are you maybe loading the images from a slow USB or other type of slow hard drive? Of course the load time also depends on your image size. One suggestion would be to store your images on a solid state drive while working with them in AIJ. SSD drives are of course more expensive than magnetic disk hard drives.

Another possibility is that the AIJ memory setting needs adjusting. The default upper limit on memory available to AIJ is 640 MB. This will need to be increased in order for AIJ to run properly. Change the upper limit on the amount of memory available to AIJ using AIJ_Toolbar->Edit->Options->Memory & Threads. Enter the amount of memory in MB. It is recommended to set up about 3/4 of the physical memory installed in your system (i.e. since you have a 8 GB system, set the memory for 6,000 MB). Note that this memory setting is an upper limit. AIJ uses only the amount of system memory that is needed at any one time. Click "OK" and close AIJ. Restart AIJ to use the new memory settings.

If your memory is not large enough to avoid using the "virtual stack" option, adding memory to your system may help.

Also, 32-bit AIJ is known to have performance problems due to the very limited amount of memory (640 MB) that can be assigned to AIJ, so a 64-bit OS is strongly encouraged.

If you are able to work out why your image loading performance is so slow, please post back here. It may help others with a similar problem.

Re: hardware recommendations

bryan martin
The images I was working with were nearly 200mb due to bin 1x1.
I went back to bin 2x2, shrunk file size and had a three fold increase in AIJ speed.
bryan