fluxes appear truncated when reopened in new session

fluxes appear truncated when reopened in new session

james.lowenthal
This seems like an 8-bit vs 16-bit problem but I can't find where.

I'm running AIJ db3.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.12.6.  I reduced an exoplanet transit dataset, did multi-aperture photometry, got a nice plot, and saved the results in a file (default extension = ".xls" though it's really just an ASCII text file).

If I quit AIJ, restart AIJ, and access the old data via File > Import > Results, I see that all the fluxes are truncated to 3 digits.  Plotting the light curve shows the same thing: flux values are truncated, so what was originally a smooth curve is now a step-function.

If I open the same results file with a text editor, I see the numbers in fact are fine, i.e. not truncated.

Example: for star T1, text viewer shows  rel_flux_T1 = 0.016786, but AIJ Results window shows rel_flux_T1 = 0.017

Any tips on how to open old data properly?  Is File > Import > Results the wrong method?

Re: fluxes appear truncated when reopened in new session

Hi James,

I've never noticed that underlying ImageJ import command, and see that it is confusing. I'll try to do something to remove that from the AIJ builds. There are however several ways to open a measurements table (as opposed to an underlying  ImageJ results Table) with full precision. Use one of the following methods: (1) use AIJ_Toolbar->File->Open, (2) click the "Read MeasurementsTable" icon () on the AIJ toolbar, (3) drag the measurements table from an OS file display window and drop it on the toolbar, (4) open Multi-Plot by clicking the () icon on the AIJ toolbar and go to Multi-Plot_Main->File->"Open table from file", or (5), with Multi-Plot open, simply drag the measurements table file and drop it onto one of the Multi-Plot control panels.

Also, you can change the filetype of measurements tables to something other than the default .xls by going to AIJ_Toolbar->Edit->Options->Input/Output. I generally use .tbl for the filetype so that it is unique to AIJ, and then .tbl can be set to open with AIJ in the OS. After doing that, a double-click on the measurements table file in the OS will automatically open it into AIJ.

Karen

On 9/20/2017 1:26 PM, james.lowenthal [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
[...]

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/fluxes-appear-truncated-when-reopened-in-new-session-tp835.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML