Variable apertures

CraigNZ
Some questions about the variable aperture feature.

1. Is the variable aperture size constant, for all stars on a given image, of a series?  In other words, is the aperture size = FWHM_mean x scaling factor.

2. In the measurements report, column Width_xx, is this the diameter of the FWHM?  As I understand, FWHM is a radius and I guess width is then the diameter (FWHD)?

3. Using data from a recent measurement report which used 1 target and 7 comparisons across 15 images, image 1 I have:

Width_T1: 8.06 (I assume this is the FWHM diameter in pixels)
FWHM_T1: 4.05 (in pixels)
FWHM_Mean: 4.18 (average across all comparison stars)
Source_radius: 20.70 (?)
Source_radius(base):  25 (a radius in pixels, so FWHD = 50 pixels)
FWHM_mult: 1.4

I think I read Source_radius = FWHM_xx  x  FWHM_mult.  But using the data above I don't think this is right.  Assuming these are all in pixels (except for the multiplier), shouldn't Source_radius = 4.18 x 1.4 = 5.85?

4. Is the Sky_Rad(min) and (max) scaled using FWHM_mult?

Craig

Re: Variable apertures

CraigNZ
As a follow up, I noticed that if multi-aperture photometry is performed on a single image then the measurement table does not include FWHM data.  But a sequence of images will include the FWHM data in the measurement table.  Both measurement tables should include the same data.

Re: Variable apertures

Hi Craig,

Answers embedded:

On 4/25/2018 5:46 AM, CraigNZ [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Some questions about the variable aperture feature.

1. Is the variable aperture size constant, for all stars on a given image, of a series?  In other words, is the aperture size = FWHM_mean x scaling factor.
Yes, all apertures within an image have the same size aperture. The variation is from image-to-image.

2. In the measurements report, column Width_xx, is this the diameter of the FWHM?  As I understand, FWHM is a radius and I guess width is then the diameter (FWHD)?
Width_xx is an estimate of FWHM derived from the center-of-light centroiding algorithm. It may not be an accurate representation of FWHM, depending on the level of defocus, but it scales well from image to image and works well for detrending photometric inaccuracies due to changes in seeing from image to image.
3. Using data from a recent measurement report which used 1 target and 7 comparisons across 15 images, image 1 I have:

Width_T1: 8.06 (I assume this is the FWHM diameter in pixels)
It is an estimate of FWHM, but as can be seen here, is apparently off by a factor of about 2 for this series of images.
FWHM_T1: 4.05 (in pixels)
This should be an accurate measurement of FWHM.
FWHM_Mean: 4.18 (average across all comparison stars)
Yes
Source_radius: 20.70 (?)
This is the actual radius of the photometric apertures in this images (in pixels)
Source_radius(base):  25 (a radius in pixels, so FWHD = 50 pixels)
This is the radius you have set for the photometric aperture. It is important that this value be set large enough to properly measure the centroid and to estimate Width_T1. In general, set this larger than the largest scaled aperture that you expect. Since you are getting Source_radius = 20.70, I expect Source_radius(base) = 25 is a good setting.
FWHM_mult: 1.4

I think I read Source_radius = FWHM_xx  x  FWHM_mult.  But using the data above I don't think this is right.  Assuming these are all in pixels (except for the multiplier), shouldn't Source_radius = 4.18 x 1.4 = 5.85?
I'm hoping you can follow my pseudo-code here: in the current version of AIJ the variable aperture radius = FWHM_mult * MaxOf( Mean(X-Width_xx), Mean(Y-Width_xx) ). In a future version, AIJ will offer the option to use variable aperture radius = FWHM_mult * FWHM_mean, but in some testing I ran a while back, for some reason the latter version does not seem to work as well as the current version (thus my slowness in introducing the option).

4. Is the Sky_Rad(min) and (max) scaled using FWHM_mult?
No, these stay constant, so they should be set large enough to be outside the largest expected scaled aperture radius. Of course this could require a repeated photometry run if you guess wrong the first time.

Craig

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Variable-apertures-tp989.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: Variable apertures

Hi Craig,
I agree. I have added this as a bug report and will fix it when time allows.
Thanks!
Karen

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Variable-apertures-tp989p990.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: Variable apertures

CraigNZ
Thanks Karen for the explanation of aperture radius.  What ever you are using, it appears to be working VERY well.  The results have provided the best photometric values I have seen from any software package to date.  The method is different from what I have used before and hence all the questions.  But given the results and your research into it, I am most happy to stay with the design as is.

Craig