Timing problem

SCO

Timing problem

SCO
This post was updated on .
I am not sure what happened here. There appears to be a timing problem of some kind. The exoplanet is K2-284 b. According to the NASA Exoplanet Archive: Ingress = 12/31/2022 8:11 UT. Egress = 12/31/2022 10:15 UT. Converting this to Arizona time (Arizona does not use DST): Ingress = 12/31/2022 1:11. Egress = 12/31/2022 3:15. There is a fairly long "tail" between the start of observation and the the beginning of the transit. The "Fit and Normalize Region Selection" section automatically put 0.57236 for "Left" and 0.69182 for "Right". I do not know where it got those numbers from. This is a first try at using AstroImageJ so I am not very familiar with it. Could you please tell me how I can fix the plot (both the V markers and the data)? Thanks! Note: the text that says "December 30" is not correct. It was December 31. Two screen prints are shown below.
Sycamore Canyon Observatory
https://scosci.com/

Re: Timing problem

AIJ plots in various forms of JD time (preferably BJD_TDB). The "default" time markers in your plot are just the values that were set last time.  You'll need to convert your UT times to BJD_UTC and enter them in (left, v.marker1) and (right, v.marker2).  You should go through Dennis Conti's guide  from his website to learn how to use AIJ, or better yet, take his AAVSO course that teaches how to use AIJ in zoom sessions if you are lucky enough to get a spot in an upcoming course.
UTC can be converted to BJD_TDB using the CC module (protractor icon on the toolbar), on on various websites. Or the NASA Exoplanet Archive may also give ingress and egress in BJD_TDB.

Karen
SCO

Re: Timing problem

SCO
Hi Karen,

Yes, I thought about it overnight and came to the same conclusion, that I would have to manually put the times in those fields myself.  The manual just says check Auto and click the arrow under the check box.  I was going to try manually inputting the times this morning.  I found a converter between UT and BJD_TDB on Exofast last night and was going to use that.  Thank you for references to other converters as well.

Actually, I did read Dennis's guide and I attended his extremely helpful course in Tucson a few months ago, but I do not recall a discussion of converting time and manually inputting the numbers into the Multi-Plot main screen (perhaps I just missed it).  Thinking about it, the solution makes perfect sense of course, but at this time, using the software for the first time, I just blindly followed the instructions in the maual.

I was not aware that AstroImageJ would automatically populate those fields with the numbers from the last use of it.  Thanks for explaining that!