Setting range for pixel values

magnusl
Hi!

When opening a file in AIJ, I get information about pixel vaules in "counts" from 0 (or rather even negative values) to 655535. In other programs (such as PixInsights) the range 0-1 is preferred. How can I change this setting in AIJ so I get the measuremets in the [0,1]-range? Can't seem to find it in the documentation (i'm sure it is there but can't find).

Magnus

Re: Setting range for pixel values

Hi Magnus,

It is unclear to me why a user would not want to see the actually pixel values, but have them instead normalized to a [0,1] range. While AIJ does not currently support this mode, if you can explain why this mode would be scientifically useful, we could consider if it is possible to support in the future.

Re: Setting range for pixel values

magnusl
Hi Karen!

The issue turned up in a conversation with users of PixInsight. PI apparently treats fits format by showing pixel values in the [o,1] range by default. Then another person showed me a screenshot of AIJ also showing values in this range, so I simply wanted to replicate that to be able to understand our issues. So it's a bit of a mystery how he could get these values, right? Also, he's not a regular user of AIJ so it's not through some expert tweaking.

So: there is really no serious need for it. If it is not supported now, there is no reason to change that.

Magnus