Problems running astroimagej on linux (guix)

Problems running astroimagej on linux (guix)

rlemmon
Hi All,

I am trying to run AstroImageJ on my laptop (using guix linux).

I have downloaded AIJ into my home directory and unpacked it. If I go into the AstroImageJ directory and run:

$ java -Xmx8192m -jar ij.jar

I get the following error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: begin 0, end 3, length 2
        at java.base/java.lang.String.checkBoundsBeginEnd(Unknown Source)
        at java.base/java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
        at ij.ImageJ.main(ImageJ.java:622)

I don't normally use java so I am not sure what is happening here. It seems to be an error in the code itself. I wonder if it is a compatibility issue with my version of java. For example:

$ java -version

openjdk version "12" 2019-03-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 12+0-adhoc..jdk-0276cba45aac)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 12+0-adhoc..jdk-0276cba45aac, mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks
Roy.

Re: Problems running astroimagej on linux (guix)

Riccardo Papini
OpenJDK is the open source package for Linux which does (nearly) the same job of Java in Linux OS.

I use it in my laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 and it works fine. AIJ runs smoothly.

Check if you have the updated package installed.

Riccardo

Il Lun 11 Mag 2020, 13:44 rlemmon [via AstroImageJ] <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Problems-running-astroimagej-on-linux-guix-tp1347.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: Problems running astroimagej on linux (guix)

rlemmon
Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for your reply. I have it working now.

I had installed openjdk but I needed to install the jdk output of the openjdk package to get the developer tools. For my system this is with:

guix install openjdk:jdk

With that, everything works at least with what I have tested so far. I do have another display issue when I run under my usual tiling window manager (EXWM) but if I use Gnome, it works fine. Probably an X11 issue but I will just use Gnome for now.

Thanks
Roy.