Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

magnusl
Hi!

I'm running AstroimageJ on a linux destop and when I try update from the program, it identifies an update and downloads some files. Then it tries to run a windows exe-file, and naturally crashes.

Something I should change in settings.....?

Magnus

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

Hi Magnus,

Can you give more detail on the windows exe file attempt to run? Does this happen after the files download and before AIJ closes, after AIJ closes, or at some other time?

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

magnusl
Hi!

I made a small screen recording. Does it make sense?

Magnus

2022-12-21_AIJ.mp4

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

keastrid
Hi Magnus,

The updater is errantly downloading the windows launcher, but it is not crashing. When AIJ completes an update, it immediately closes. When you launch it again it will be up to date.

Kevin

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

After an update download, it is normal that AIJ closes. Then when you restart AIJ you are running the new version. In the current version that you have, when AIJ closes after the downloads, you should be running the newer version that downloaded (even though you see the windows exe download briefly, it doesn't get written to disk). We will soon update the daily build so that the windows exe doesn't even download for Linux and Mac.

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

The daily build (>=5.2.0.06) has now been updated to eliminate the AstroImageJ.exe download when running under Linux and Mac.

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

magnusl
Hi!

Yes, well, it does not update. I am running version 5.1.0.00 according to the info in Help - About AstroImageJ. And I am still running that version, after trying to update to 5.2.0 as well as daily build....

So: no update.

Magnus

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

Does AIJ have write-privilege in the installation directory? If not, you will need to change the permissions or install in a directory that is writeable for the update feature to work.

Re: Problem updating on Linux: AIJ tries to run a windows exe

magnusl
Hi!

That's it! Updated now. Thanks.

Magnus