Problem Opening Saved data files in multiplot

Problem Opening Saved data files in multiplot

wvinton
I've encountered a little problem with saving and re-opening data files in Multi-plot.

When opening the .txt file (tab-delimited is default, I believe) saved from the Multi-plot main window, the columns do not align correctly. Screen shot below:

As you can see, the numerical values are misplaced one column to the right, due to the spurious NaN values inserted in the "slice" column.

If I open the data file in Excel, and then resave it as a comma-separated values file, and then open the data .csv file in AIJ, the columns align correctly, as shown below:

So, I can work around the problem, but it would be convenient if the .txt file opened correctly. Is the spurious NaN because of a problem with the label name? Is there a way to save the data file in .csv from multi-plot so that I don't need to do the conversion in Excel?

Using MacOS 10.13.3, 13" MacBook Pro with touchbar, Current version of AIJ

Thanks.

Re: Problem Opening Saved data files in multiplot

When the filename extension is .txt, AIJ assumes the file is a white space delimited file. The problem in the table you posted is that there is a space in the filenames in the "Label" column. That causes AIJ to interpret the filename as two columns, and the second column is then interpreted as the "slice" column (and everything else gets pushed over a column too). The NaNs show in the "slice" column because there are non-numeric values in the second part of the filename.

If you change the filename extension to .xls (or anything other than .txt or .csv), the file should open correctly as a tab delimited file, even with the space in the Label name. I use the extension .tbl so that when I double click a file it doesn't open in Excel.

If you want to change the default filename extension to .tbl, .xls, or something else of your choosing, do that at AIJ_Toolbar->Edit->Options->Input/Output->"Filename extension for tables".

If you really want to save tables in comma separated format, change the default extension name, as explained in the previous sentence, to .csv.

Re: Problem Opening Saved data files in multiplot

wvinton
Fabulous - I somewhat figured that the problem was the space in the file name. I’ll change the extension and see how it goes!

I really appreciate your ultra-prompt replies!

Clear Skies!

Bill Vinton

802-748-4002 (h)
802-535-8019 (c)

"Just deal with what is true. You know what is true.You need to do your best to say it correct."
The Laramie Project

On Jan 27, 2018, 8:20 PM -0500, karenacollins [via AstroImageJ] <[hidden email]>, wrote:
[...]

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Problem-Opening-Saved-data-files-in-multiplot-tp963p964.html
To unsubscribe from Problem Opening Saved data files in multiplot, click here.
NAML