Plate solving creates a winzip file instead of autosaving original

Plate solving creates a winzip file instead of autosaving original

Dennis Conti
Running the latest daily build 5.1.3.02. When plate solving an image with the Auto-save option enabled, instead of adding the plate solution to the original image, AIJ creates a winzip fit file of the image with its plate-solved solution. This is true when running either with the local astrometry server or astrometry.net. I don't recall this behavior in previous versions of AIJ. This creates winzip files interspersed with the original images AND requires having to weed out the originals.

Thanks,
Dennis

Re: Plate solving creates a winzip file instead of autosaving original

Hi Dennis,

The Astrometry/Plate-solve file-save formatting problem has been resolved in the latest daily build (5.1.3.03 or later). You will now see two file compression checkbox options called "FPACK" and "GZIP" in the astrometry set-up panel. Those should be set to match your input file format if you want to overwrite the original file. For standard fits files, leave both options deselected.

We will eventual implement code to default the compression options to the same as the input format, but we have a complication in the implementation, so that will come a little later.

Re: Plate solving creates a winzip file instead of autosaving original

Dennis Conti
Hi Karen,

I tried the latest daily build on a sample set of images that have a .FIT extension. Unfortunately, the new version now creates a plate solved images with a .FITS extension, with the old .FIT un-plate solved one still there. So, this means the user still would have to go through the folder and delete the old images.

Dennis

Re: Plate solving creates a winzip file instead of autosaving original

Dennis Conti
Thanks to Karen and Kevin - the latest Daily Build 5.1.3.04 fixes the problem.

Dennis