Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

pmforlife
I have performed my first analysis on a series of pictures of a transit with the help of instructions. I had no problem and the final result was satisfactory.

Now, I have a data file consisting of Time / Magnitude / Error (if necessary) of a transit without any pictures. Could I do the analysis with these data? and if the answer is yes how could I do it? As the procedure is based on analysis of pictures and all the steps are somehow interdependent to each other, I do not have any idea how to work with my plain data, fitting the best light curve to it, and finally extracting the parameters of the planet/star.

Thanks...

Re: Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

You can load a generic tab or comma delimited text file by clicking the open table icon on the AIJ toolbar () and selecting the file. For a comma separated file, name it .csv. Try .txt for a tab delimited file. You can include a header row with labels. Otherwise they will show up as generic labels and you will have to figure out which labels correspond to which data columns.

If your input data are in magnitude, you will need to select "Input in Mag" on the corresponding plot row of the Multiplot Y-data panel.

You will always have more flexibility with an AIJ produced photometry table, so if you have access to the images, it would be well worth the effort to re-run the photometry in AIJ.

Re: Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

pmforlife
Thanks for your help Karen.

I did as you said. I opened my data successfully and selected "Input in mag" button. This is my data:

However, I can not see my light curve in the plot window. I also see this window:

Could you please tell me which part of the procedure needs to be corrected? This is my .txt file if is needed.

new_observe.txt

Re: Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

Hi, please include screen grabs of the Multi-plot main and Multi-plot Y-data settings. That might lead me to some help for you.

Karen

On 9/15/2018 6:18 AM, pmforlife [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Thanks for your help Karen.

I did as you said. I opened my data successfully and selected "Input in mag" button. This is my data:

However, I can not see my light curve in the plot window. I also see this window:

Could you please tell me which part of the procedure needs to be corrected? This is my .txt file if is needed.

new_observe.txt

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Performing-analysis-on-Time-Mag-data-rather-than-pictures-tp1036p1038.html
To start a new topic under How to accomplish specific tasks in AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

pmforlife
Here is the main window:

And this is the multi plot y:

I should mention that some of the options in the multi plot y (like plot button) are not selectable for me.

Re: Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

At a minimum, you need to check "Plot" on the top row of plot controls and select the "Y-data" you want to plot in the pull-down menu (in Multi-plot Y-data panel). I'd also check "Auto X-range" and "Auto Y-range"  on the multi-plot main panel.

There are several references pinned to the top of the user forum that describe in general how to use the basics of the plotting facility. If you haven't reviewed those already, I think it would be helpful to expedite your work.

Karen

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Performing-analysis-on-Time-Mag-data-rather-than-pictures-tp1036p1040.html
NAML

Re: Performing analysis on Time/Mag data rather than pictures

pmforlife
You are right. As it's been a long time since I read the user guide, I should review them.

Now, I could plot my data successfully and I should fit the best light curve to them with the help of user guides.

Thanks a lot for your help.