Out of memory - increasing limit not working

Out of memory - increasing limit not working

Adrian Jones
This post was updated on .
Hi.
I have just started with AstroImageJ and am going through Dennis Conti's excellent guide. I tried to import his sample science images (336 x 3MB) but get an 'Out of memory' message indicating it has used all of the available memory (616MB). This is despite having set maximum memory to 8000MB (out of 16GB available) and restarted AIJ.

I noticed that the program had successfully loaded exactly 200 of the 336 images in the stack, which would be about right if the memory available really was only ~600MB.

Is there anything else I can do to make the program see and use the additional memory I've allocated?

I'm running the current version of the program on Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks
Adrian

Edit:

I noticed this mention of memory used in <Help> <About AstroImageJ>

Re: Out of memory - increasing limit not working

Hi Adrian,

Did you install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of AIJ? Make sure you installed 64 bit version to use more that 640 MB of memory. Also, it's best to install the  package that includes java-64 bit to make sure it is seeing the 64-bit version of java. The current AIJ installation package is called "AstroImageJ_v3.2.0_20170222_windows_java7_x64.zip" on the download site here:

https://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/installation_packages/

If this doesn't solve your problem, start AIJ and click on the lower half of the AIJ Toolbar and report back the memory and java information that is displayed in the lower portion of the toolbar. A screen grab of the toolbar showing the information would be ideal.

Re: Out of memory - increasing limit not working

Adrian Jones
This post was updated on .
Hi Karen.
I confirm that I installed the 64 bit version as you described.

Here is the memory and Java information:

Adrian

Edit:

I just read the installation README and note that I have java 32 bit installed - this is probably the issue!

Re: Out of memory - increasing limit not working - SOLVED

Adrian Jones
This post was updated on .
Hi.
Problem solved.  I had Java 32 bit version installed. I don't understand why the information in the toolbar said it is jre7 (64bit) .... it was not.

I installed jre8-64 bit and re-installed AstroImageJ. No out of memory issue now.

Adrian

Re: Out of memory - increasing limit not working - SOLVED

Great!

On 2/15/2020 6:27 PM, Adrian Jones [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Hi.
Problem solved.  I had Java 32 bit version installed!

Adrian

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Out-of-memory-increasing-limit-not-working-tp1281p1284.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML