Off-line plate solving in linux?

magnusl
Hi!

I understand that there is an offline plate solving option for Windows, throught the ansrv. Is there any similar solution for Linux?

Magnus

Re: Off-line plate solving in linux?

Hi Magnus,

I am not aware of a server version of astrometry.net that will talk directly to AIJ locally that runs under linux, but astrometry.net can be installed under linux to plate solve images. The difference is that the plate solving would need to be done outside AIJ in the local astrometry.net installation, and then loaded into AIJ.

Linux AIJ users,

It would be great if a linux expert could figure out how to run astrometry.net as a server under linux so that AIJ could talk to it directly (i.e. the same as with ansvr). I would not be of much help since I didn't develop ansvr, and I'm not a linux expert, but I might could point someone in the right direction. Just let me know here if you could possibly accomplish this task.

Karen

On 5/31/2020 5:50 PM, magnusl [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Hi!

I understand that there is an offline plate solving option for Windows, throught the ansrv. Is there any similar solution for Linux?

Magnus

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Off-line-plate-solving-in-linux-tp1358.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: Off-line plate solving in linux?

Richard Lee
Hello

Well I'm definitely not a Linux expert .. but there is a related 4 year old SGP thread. Andy Galasso  is the ansvr developer

http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/using-local-installation-of-astrometry/3697/2

Richard

Re: Off-line plate solving in linux?

Hi Richard,

Thanks for this tip.  The link below seems to be broken, but I was able to reach what I think is the correct post here:
http://forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/using-local-installation-of-astrometry/3697

I'm going to copy that information here in case the post gets removed for some reason. I am not a linux user, so I am unable to document the specific steps needed to make this work on Linux (and maybe Mac??). Do we have a linux and/or Mac user that is willing to try to get this to work, and document the steps for the AIJ community?

Here is the post from Andy Galasso, the ansvr developer:

I think you have two options for using your existing astrometry.net instance on your Linux box.

1) install and run the astrometry.net server code. I have never tried this so I’m not sure how hard or easy it would be.

2) run ansvr on the linux box. ansvr is just a perl script that runs standalone and calls astrometry.net’s solve-field command. You’ll need to modify ansvr on line 65 to point to the location of solve-field if it is somewhere other than /usr/bin/solve-field

# # full path to astometry.net solve-field executable # my $SOLVE_FIELD = '/usr/bin/solve-field';

I just tried running ansvr on an Ubuntu 15.10 machine and it ran ok, but the version of astrometry.net solve-field that I had installed there fails with an error reading the FITS image uploaded by SGP ( IOError: Header missing END card.) If you want to pursue this but you get the same error on your Linux machine, I would be willing to work with you to diagnose the problem and get it working. You can contact me at my email address on the ansvr download page.

If you just need blind solving, the most expedient thing to do would be to install ansvr on your windows box, that way you would have it running in a few clicks with minimal effort.

Andy

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Off-line-plate-solving-in-linux-tp1358p1365.html