Multi-aperture photometry: program error trying to bring up a plot

Multi-aperture photometry: program error trying to bring up a plot

AstroChara
Hello, I'm a student who's been trying to use AstroImageJ for processing an exoplanet transit.

I was following this tutorial up to the photometry part https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW--rE5O-c8&t=1527s . At first, the program was operating normally, until one point (which I believe may have been when I closed the plot window when it was running?) where suddenly the program starts throwing this error whenever I right click (after placing apertures) to start the process:

AIJ 5.3.2.00; ImageJ 1.54h2; Java 21.0.1 [64-bit]; Mac OS X 13.2.1; 742MB of 6144MB (12%)
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: (minimum <= value <= maximum) is false
    at java.desktop/javax.swing.SpinnerNumberModel.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at Astronomy.MultiPlot_.createFitPanel(MultiPlot_.java:12462)
    at Astronomy.MultiPlot_.showMoreCurvesJPanel(MultiPlot_.java:10520)
    at Astronomy.MultiPlot_.showMainJPanel(MultiPlot_.java:10418)
    at Astronomy.MultiPlot_.finishSetup(MultiPlot_.java:1119)
    at Astronomy.MultiPlot_.setTable(MultiPlot_.java:1105)
    at Astronomy.MultiPlot_.findTables(MultiPlot_.java:1047)
    at Astronomy.MultiPlot_.run(MultiPlot_.java:1018)
    at ij.IJ.runUserPlugIn(IJ.java:244)
    at ij.IJ.runPlugIn(IJ.java:210)
    at ij.IJ.runPlugIn(IJ.java:199)
    at Astronomy.MultiAperture_.processImage(MultiAperture_.java:3527)
    at Astronomy.MultiAperture_.processStack(MultiAperture_.java:2862)
    at Astronomy.MultiAperture_$4.run(MultiAperture_.java:2781)
    at java.base/java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)

Which appears to be related to the plot, but this error stops the program from running the second frame and prevents me from completing the process. (Interestingly, when I simply don't close any windows that popped up and attempt to run multi-aperture photometry the second time anyway, the program succeeds in computing every frame, but without ever showing the plot.)

The problem is not with my device as the plot reliably shows up at first, and it is also not with the files as AIJ installed on another computer works fine when I sent them these files.

I've been trying to solve this by completely uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but no matter what I did (restarting the program, restarting the computer, manually uninstalling and reinstalling, uninstalling with three different uninstallers, uninstall and reinstall Java), AIJ's data is never completely wiped, and as a result still shows the same error.

So I figured I'd like to ask in this Forums, if anyone has any insight, and if anyone has encountered the same problem.

Re: Multi-aperture photometry: program error trying to bring up a plot

We'll try to prevent that error in a future release. In the meantime, you should be able to clear the problem by going to Multi-plot Main > File > Restore all default AIJ preferences. You could alternatively backup the a preferences file on a computer that is working and restore it on the system that shows the error using the options in the same Multi-plot Main > File menu.

As a note, you can disable the display of the plot window in the Multi-aperture Setup panel using the option near the bottom of the panel.

Re: Multi-aperture photometry: program error trying to bring up a plot

AstroChara
I am happy to report that this solution works. Thank you very much for your help :D

I hope this thread would be of use to other people as well.