Mac OS X Bundle Versions

hansen_m
I've noticed that each new build of AstroImageJ for Mac OS X has the same 'CFBundleVersion' which shows '10.2'. For system administrators who deploy and manage many software applications across many distributed systems this makes it difficult to accurately determine which version is installed and to deploy updates.

The standard Info.plist version keys for Mac OS X bundle applications are 'CFBundleVersion' and 'CFBundleShortVersionString'.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Reference/InfoPlistKeyReference/Articles/CoreFoundationKeys.html

Is it possible to update these keys to match the actual version of AstroImageJ?

Thank you!

Matt Hansen
Penn State University

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

Hi Matt,

The Mac installation package on the AIJ installation webpage has been
updated (I think) as you requested. I will try to remember to update the
release numbers in the info.plist file when I release new complete
installation packages. However, the version number will only be correct
in the info.plist file until the user updates to a new build under the
AIJ_Toolbar Help menu.

Could you please test the posted version and let me know if it appears
as expected on your systems?

http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/

Thanks,

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

hansen_m
Karen,

Thanks for the quick response. I just tested this and it looks perfect. Our users don't have the file system permissions to update using the AIJ_Toolbar in the labs so I don't think that will be a problem.

Thanks again,

--

Matt Hansen
Systems Administrator

On Jan 9, 2015, at 3:46 AM, karenacollins [via AstroImageJ] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Matt,

The Mac installation package on the AIJ installation webpage has been
updated (I think) as you requested. I will try to remember to update the
release numbers in the info.plist file when I release new complete
installation packages. However, the version number will only be correct
in the info.plist file until the user updates to a new build under the
AIJ_Toolbar Help menu.

Could you please test the posted version and let me know if it appears
as expected on your systems?

http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/

Thanks,

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Mac-OS-X-Bundle-Versions-tp219p220.html
To unsubscribe from Mac OS X Bundle Versions, click here.
NAML

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

Chrischley
Dear Karen,
I tested the updated Version and it failed to start giving the error code -10810 ,
I'm running a Macbook Pro Late 2011 on OS 10.10.1, Java 1.8.0_25.

Best regards
Christian

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

Hi Christian,

Have you followed the work-arounds in these posts?

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Work-around-for-MAC-OSX-10-8-AIJ-startup-error-AstroImageJ64-is-damaged-and-can-t-be-opened-td122.html

http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/astroimagej_20141206/AstroImageJ_installation_mac.html

In particular, confirm that you have performed both of these steps and
let me know if you are still having problems:

Since OS X 10.7 (Lion), Java is no longer pre-installed so you are
prompted to install it the first time you install a Java application.
When you see the message "To open AstroImageJ64.app you need to install
the legacy Java SE 6 runtime", click 'More Info...' to download and
install Apple Java 6 on your machine. After the download completes, open
the Downloads folder and double-click the JavaForOSX2014-001.dmg file.
The double-click JavaForOSX.pkg and follow the instructions on the
screen to complete the package installation.

With OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), you may get the message "AstroImageJ64
is damaged and can't be opened". To work around this problem, go to
System Preferences ->Security & Privacy -> General and set "Allow
applications downloaded from:" to "Anywhere". You can restore the
original setting once AstroImageJ is running the first time.

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

Chrischley
Dear Karen,
I followed the manuals, but still got the error. Nevertheless I was able to fix the error by following this Answer at Stackexchange:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/81346

The Problem was AstroImageJ64.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
so i fixed it by executing:

chmod +x AstroImageJ64.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub

Christian

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

Christian,

Thanks for reporting the solution.

I'm not sure why chmod +x needs to be executed on some machines and not others. If other users have the problem, please report here.

For clarity, my understanding is that you needed to issue the following command:

chmod +x /Applications/AstroImageJ/AstroImageJ64.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub

If you needed to do something different, please clarify.

Thanks,

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

DaveG
I had the same issue and wanted to figure out why.

It's related to how the files are unzipped.  If you use the Finder GUI and click to unzip all is well, the files are set to executable.  If you unzip using the command line, i.e. "unzip AstroImageJ_v3.2.0_20160201_mac.zip" the files are not set to executable.

It's pretty obscure and most people don't unzip using the command line but it stumped me until I found Christian's post.

It might be helpful to add a comment about this in the readme notes.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Mac OS X Bundle Versions

hansen_m
I've run into the unzip and executable issue before, so this is what we do for deploying in our labs.

/bin/chmod a+x /Applications/AstroImageJ/AstroImageJ*.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaApplicationStub
/usr/bin/xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/AstroImageJ/AstroImageJ*.app

This is part of a larger script that does the unzip and setting of permissions for a shared system.