How to determine Dark Current?

SCO

How to determine Dark Current?

SCO
Hi, AstroImageJ is asking for a measure of Dark current in the form of "e-/pixel/second".
 However the specs that came with my camera only says the following about Dark Current: "100s Dark Current Growth: 29.5 ADU".  How should I relate those two measurements?  If the camera has a "100s Dark Current Growth" of 29.5 ADU, then what would I put for "e-/pixel/second"?  Thanks!
Sycamore Canyon Observatory
https://scosci.com/

Re: How to determine Dark Current?

I think you would need to convert ADU to electrons (e-) using the gain of your detector, then divide by 100.

If other users are familiar with the dark current spec in this format, please confirm or correct the above guidance.

Karen
SCO

Re: How to determine Dark Current?

SCO
Yes, I believe that is correct.  I was not sure what the term "Gain" meant - shows how much I know about CCD cameras... :-) But now that you clarified that, I found this excellent resource that explains more than anyone would ever want to know about digital cameras:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/GeneralTopics/Sensors_&_Raw/Sensor_Analysis_Primer/Gain.htm

The relevant statment on that page is:

"Strictly speaking the units of gain are ADU/e, but gain is often reported in reciprocal units of e/ADU."

FLI reports my gain as 1.37. So a little calculating on my fingers comes up with a Dark Current of 0.404.

Thank you for your assistance!