How to Open .fits file from MAST Database

How to Open .fits file from MAST Database

rich321sev
Hello all!

I've been trying to open a .fits file from the MAST Database ( https://mast.stsci.edu/portal/Mashup/Clients/Mast/Portal.html ) with AstroImageJ

While I can open files from the SPITZER_SHA mission on AstroImageJ, I'm not positive that its working right since I'm unable to see the the steady frame of the star, like the example WASP12B data file from AstroImageJ's website to test.

Most of the time I'm getting a whole lot of nothing: Bad.png

I guess my question is any advice on how I can get my hands on some data like the example data file from AstroImageJ from the MAST website or if there's any other database besides the MAST that can give me raw frames like the WASP12B example.

Thanks!

Re: How to Open .fits file from MAST Database

Is there a specific file on MAST that you are interested to open? If so, provide a link to it so that I can take a look.

There are a wide array of public fits files available. One such source is TESS. The full frame images at a 30 minute cadence are stored on MAST and will open in AIJ. They can be downloaded from here:
http://archive.stsci.edu/tess/bulk_downloads/bulk_downloads_ffi-tp-lc-dv.html

Note that the filesize is very large and the download can take a while.

Another source is the LCOGT archives. After 12 months, all of the LCO data are made public. I think you'd need to apply for an account from the LCOGT website: https://lco.global/

Karen

On 2/24/2020 10:53 AM, rich321sev [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Hello all!

I've been trying to open a .fits file from the MAST Database ( https://mast.stsci.edu/portal/Mashup/Clients/Mast/Portal.html ) with AstroImageJ

While I can open files from the SPITZER_SHA mission on AstroImageJ, I'm not positive that its working right since I'm unable to see the the steady frame of the star, like the example WASP12B data file from AstroImageJ's website to test.

Most of the time I'm getting a whole lot of nothing: Bad.png

I guess my question is any advice on how I can get my hands on some data like the example data file from AstroImageJ from the MAST website or if there's any other database besides the MAST that can give me raw frames like the WASP12B example.

Thanks!

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/How-to-Open-fits-file-from-MAST-Database-tp1297.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: How to Open .fits file from MAST Database

rich321sev
Thank you for the other sources Karen! I'll be sure to look at those!

As for the file itself, I've just realized now that I found this .fits file from a different source, which is ( http://archive.stsci.edu/kepler/ffi/search.php ) here.

Which gets me a .fits that looks like this:

So now there's two problems that I want to solve. First, is it possible to open the above file? My professor and I have tried exporting the images out as single images into a folder, but that doesn't work.

And then there's the second problem of trying to read the SPITZER file from MAST.
I'm trying to open this file

But I'm getting the weird grainy image like I posted before.

Thank you again for the help you have given so far!

Re: How to Open .fits file from MAST Database

Hi Rick,

I am using AIJ 3.4.0.  If you are not running that version (see AIJ_TOOL->Help->About_AstroImageJ), update following these instructions:
http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/After-a-fresh-installation-of-AIJ-be-sure-to-update-to-the-latest-build-td142.html

I downloaded "kplr2009114174833_ffi-cal.fits" and it opens fine:

AIJ does not currently support FITS files that contain multiple images.

The Spitzer image you are seeing is displayed correctly. Here is the display in DS9
(which is the de-facto tool I use to compare FITS displays with AIJ):

Here is the display in AIJ:

Hope that helps.

Karen