File format for import

Bojan
Hi,
A total newbie here....
So far for years I was using Canon DSLR for AP.
I would like to jump into something more serious now.

After installation of AIJ I tried to open some RAW images, but CR2  format is not supported.
Then I converted CR2 into TIFF format (using Canon's DPP), then convert that into FITS by means of Astrometry.net plate solver.
Is this a good enough way of doing this? It seems too many steps are involved and I am questioning the linearity of the resulting FITS file and it's suitability for photometry.

Thank you in advance!
Bojan

Re: File format for import

Hi Bojan,

AIJ will open TIFF files. Will those load directly into AIJ without using the Astrometry.net plate solver?

Also, see this related post:

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Canon-RAW-images-in-AIJ-td280.html

Re: File format for import

Bojan
Hi Karen,
Thank you for your reply.
Actually, I tried again with DPP conversion into 16-bit TIFF (with EXIF) and it worked... I must have done something wrong earlier in a hurry, there was a message "cant open the file compressed this way"..  That's why I went to Astrometry plate solver to obtain FITS file).

Now I have some more questions..
When starting AIJ, there is a window with plugin errors (duplicated commands, animated gifs and duplicated "interactive 3D surface plot").
Should I simply ignore this?

Log file says:

Deleting duplicate plugin: C:\Users\stajarb\Desktop\Private\Astro\PHOTOM~1\ImageJ\plugins\Animated_Gif.jar
Deleting duplicate plugin: C:\Users\stajarb\Desktop\Private\Astro\PHOTOM~1\ImageJ\plugins\Interactive_3D_Surface_Plot.jar
Deleting duplicate plugin: C:\Users\stajarb\Desktop\Private\Astro\PHOTOM~1\ImageJ\plugins\Animated_Gif.jar
Deleting duplicate plugin: C:\Users\stajarb\Desktop\Private\Astro\PHOTOM~1\ImageJ\plugins\Interactive_3D_Surface_Plot.jar

Re: File format for import

Is it possible that you have somehow combined an ImageJ and AstroImageJ installation into the same directory?

Either way, there should be no errors reported when you open AIJ. I suggest removing the AIJ directory and reinstalling
AIJ from the official download website.

http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/installation_packages/

Re: File format for import

Bojan
This post was updated on .
Hi Karen,
Yes... I tried using ImageJ in the past, so I placed AIJ subfolder in IJ directory.
It is sorted now, thank you!

What I am trying to do is to join observation of possible Proxima_b transit... so there will be more questions soon.

Bojan

Re: File format for import

astrofriend
Hi Bojan,
I believe you can use my macro to open your Canon cr2 files and direct convert them to AIJ.

The latest macro "Open_DSLR raw files and convert to cfa Tiff 16 bit" just open and convert to AIJ's 16 bit Tiff files in batch mode.

You find my macros and instructions here:
http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-astroimagej/tutorial-aij-01-introduction.html

Let me know if you get it to work.

/Lars
Lars
Homepage:
http://astrofriend.eu/

Re: File format for import

Bojan
Hi Lars,
Apologies for late response - I was caught in something else this weekend, there was a roof leak in our Ballarat house I had to attend
Thank you for the tip, I will try asap.
In the recent past, I tried to detect Proxima B transit (which is not occurring), it was a good exercise in photometry.

Regards from Down under,
Bojan

"astrofriend [via AstroImageJ]" <[hidden email]>

I believe you can use my macro to open your Canon cr2 files and direct convert them to AIJ.

The latest macro "Open_DSLR raw files and convert to cfa Tiff 16 bit" just open and convert to AIJ's 16 bit Tiff files in batch mode.

You find my macros and instructions here:
http://astrofriend.eu/astronomy/tutorials/tutorial-astroimagej/tutorial-aij-01-introduction.html

Let me know if you get it to work.

/Lars

Lars
Homepage:
http://astrofriend.eu/

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/File-format-for-import-tp654p841.html
To unsubscribe from File format for import, click here.
NAML