FITS header data display

Michael Collins
  One of my frequent uses of AstroImageJ is inspection of FITS image sequences captured while observing asteroidal occultations. These sequences range from a few hundred to many thousand files, and the ability to rapidly cycle from one image to the next while maintaining the same region of interest, contrast settings, etc., is quite valuable. There are several records in the header for each file that are of particular interest as a sequence is being evaluated. Header data can be viewed directly using AIJ, of course, however it appears necessary to open a new FITS Header Editor window for each file. Is there a way to configure the editor such that the header data fields are updated when the next file in an image sequence is selected using the left or right arrows? A display-only option would suit my needs, since my interest is limited to verifying stored versus expected values.
--
Michael Collins
Instrumentation Group
Lowell Observatory
Flagstaff, Arizona

Re: FITS header data display

Hi Michael,

This is a good suggestion. We will look into the practicality soon. If it's a fairly easy code update, we'll be able to provide the feature sooner. Otherwise, we have it in the medium priority to-do list.

Re: FITS header data display

Michael Collins
karenacollins wrote
If it's a fairly easy code update, we'll be able to provide the feature sooner. Otherwise, we have it in the medium priority to-do list.
  While configuring a new Linux system over the weekend, I learned that I've been stuck on AIJ-3.4 long after version 5 became available, primarily because the default JRE for Ubuntu is quite old. Newer revisions of the JRE are available, and AIJ-5 runs without issue so long as a more current JRE is installed. After a proper update, I see that displayed FITS header data are updated to coincide with the current image while stepping through a sequence. This is very helpful when reviewing occultation sequences.

  Sincere thanks to the AIJ developers for responding beyond my expectations. My initial question wasn't intended as a feature request, but only as a call for assistance in case there was a way to configure the program to maintain synchronization between image and header displays that I was not aware of. I have no idea how long ago this enhancement was incorporated into the program code, so apologies for the delay in acknowledging your efforts.

    -- Mike --
--
Michael Collins
Instrumentation Group