Exoplanet eclipse and detrending

PetriKehusmaa
This post was updated on .
Hi Group,

I'm observing an eclipse for a known exoplanet and are having difficulties with detrending when meridian flip occurs in the middle of eclipse or just at the time of ingress or egress because I don't know how to do a model fit for an eclipse.

Without a model fit the light curve will not continue at the same level of flux after meridian flip even when using 'Meridian flip' detrending parameter. I'm using left and right markers for data normalization to leave out the eclipse part.

What is the proper way of handling this situation?

My final purpose is to get as many eclipse observations (whole or partial) measured by AIJ and then take all data files into IDL for further analysis.

Re: Exoplanet eclipse and detrending

Hi Petri,

Section 3.G of Dennis Conti's user guide describes how to compensate for
a meridian flip offset as part of a transit fit, and other sections
describe how to fit transits in general (Thanks Dennis!). The guide is
available at the following link:

http://www.astrodennis.com/Guide.pdf

Let us know if that doesn't do the trick!

Re: Exoplanet eclipse and detrending

PetriKehusmaa
Transit fit works fine but I'm trying to do secondary eclipse fit and don't know how the transit fit feature can be used for secondary eclipse.

Should I just do normalization for the whole light curve including the secondary eclipse without curve fitting?
I'm afraid that I'll detrend some important data with the process. The secondary eclipse depth is within the RMS but I have observed 25 separate eclipses to get positive result.

Re: Exoplanet eclipse and detrending

You should normalize on the out-of-eclipse data only, as with a primary
transit, but you need to "lock" the u1 and u2 limb darkening parameters
both to 0.0.

Karen