Eliminating Sky effects on Exoplanet Transit Lightcurve

Eliminating Sky effects on Exoplanet Transit Lightcurve

kogbuefi
Hello!

 I have a question. I recently tried to plot a light curve of a transit the other day and it looks as though the effects of the sky is messing with the light curve of our target object. My professor, who I'm working with, suggested that we take the flux of the target object (exoplanet star) and divide it by one of the comparator stars to eliminate the sky effect. My only question is how do you do this on AstroImageJ?

-Thank You!

Re: Eliminating Sky effects on Exoplanet Transit Lightcurve

Hi,
     You should use the "Multi-Aperture" feature of AstroImageJ (AIJ) to do relative photometry, which will remove much of the sky effects. To start Multi-aperture, use the 7th icon from the right side of the main AIJ toolbar (It looks like two dots with red rings around them). After setting up your aperture sizes, etc., in the Multi-Aperture setup panel, you will need to left-click on your target star of interest first, then left-click on one or more additional stars as reference stars. Then press enter (or right-click) to start processing all images. AIJ will do the division automatically, and the results can be plotted by using the data set column name "rel_flux_T1" in the measurements table. You can plot this directly in AIJ using the Multi-plot feature (5th icon from right which looks like a red curve on x-y axis), or save the measurements table to a file and plot it in your favorite plotting program.
Karen
On 6/28/2013 10:44 AM, Kalvin Ogbuefi [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Hello!

 I have a question. I recently tried to plot a light curve of a transit the other day and it looks as though the effects of the sky is messing with the light curve of our target object. My professor, who I'm working with, suggested that we take the flux of the target object (exoplanet star) and divide it by one of the comparator stars to eliminate the sky effect. My only question is how do you do this on AstroImageJ?

-Thank You!

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Eliminating-Sky-effects-on-Exoplanet-Transit-Lightcurve-tp50.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML