Cosmic Ray/Other Artifact Rejection

KylieH
Hi everyone! I'm currently working on a project to reduce cometary data for photometry, and we're looking into methods to get rid of artifacts in the images from cosmic rays and other radiation sources. We have some leads for cosmic ray rejection routines, but other radiation artifacts are a little more difficult because they don't tend to look like cosmic rays (or anything else) and there aren't a lot of routines available to get rid of them. I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for tools in AstroImageJ that might be useful?
Thank you in advance for your time!

Re: Cosmic Ray/Other Artifact Rejection

AIJ's Data Processor (DP) module has outlier rejection in the Image Correction sub-panel:

You'd have to fiddle around with it (i.e. the radius and threshold settings) to see if helps solve your problem.

Note that the outlier removal function may affect photometry somewhat when pixels are corrected within the steep portions of the PSF. If there is only one pixel at the peak of a tightly focused PSF, it may also be reduced to the values around it. The function basically replaces outliers relative to the pixel value and threshold setting with the median value of the pixels around the pixel in question.

Note

On 6/10/2021 6:50 PM, KylieH [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm currently working on a project to reduce cometary data for photometry, and we're looking into methods to get rid of artifacts in the images from cosmic rays and other radiation sources. We have some leads for cosmic ray rejection routines, but other radiation artifacts are a little more difficult because they don't tend to look like cosmic rays (or anything else) and there aren't a lot of routines available to get rid of them. I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for tools in AstroImageJ that might be useful?
Thank you in advance for your time!

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Cosmic-Ray-Other-Artifact-Rejection-tp1585.html
To start a new topic under How to accomplish specific tasks in AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: Cosmic Ray/Other Artifact Rejection

KylieH
Ok, great. Thank you so much for your help!