Comments on Version 5.0

Dennis Conti
The following are my initial comments on the new Version 5.0:
1.  First of all, I love all of the new additions!

2. The text font that now appears on the screen for log files and things like plot titles is very hard to read  - the text renders as very light and varying in boldness. When these files are saved and then displayed, however, the text is fine. Note: i am running Windows 10 on a laptop, but this is a distinct difference from the current AIJ and makes it very difficult reading the text.

3.  Using File->Import->Image Sequence, it is not clear what the Filter entry is used for and there is in small print "enclose regex in parens," which is not clear what that means.

4.  On the Multi-aperture screen, hovering over some new entries such as Smoothing Filter Radius does not display any Help information.

5.  On the Data Set screen, it is not clear what the "debug" selection for Exhaustive Optimize is for.

Thanks for all of the new features,

Dennis Conti

Re: Comments on Version 5.0

Dennis Conti
Just to add to more previous post regarding the new format of text in log files, measurements files, etc., the attached shows a side-by-side of V13 vs. V15 view of the same measurements table. One can see that the fonts on V15 are a combination of light and dark. Is there some new font setting that needs to be changed?

Thanks again,
Dennis
AIJ_V15_Text_Issue.png

Re: Comments on Version 5.0

Hi Dennis,

Much thanks for the feedback!

1. Thank you!

2. Thank you for the very nice comparison image. We'll work on this.

3. This is an underlying ImageJ function, but we'll consider if we should try to change it. "regex" means regular expression, which is a powerful syntax for filtering text (i.e. filenames in this case). You can search for that terminology if you are interested to read more about the capability, but generally this can be left blank if you want to load all files in the selected folder, or simply include a part of a filename that matches all the files you want to load.

4. We'll add help text for the items with missing entries. For now, I'll say that Smoothing Filter Radius is the radius used to Gaussian smooth the image before searching for peaks. If too many peaks are being found, then the filter radius should be increased. Generally, 3.5 pixels works fine for most image sequences I have tried. To be clear, the smoothing and peak finding happens on an image copy that is not displayed, and most importantly doesn't affect the version of the image that is used for photometry.

5. Ignore the debug option. It is there for our development use. We'll eventually remove it, and hope to add more algorithms for optimizing comp stars and detrend parameters in those drop down boxes in future AIJ versions.

Re: Comments on Version 5.0

Richard Lee
This post was updated on .
Item 2 poor text visibility - this may be an Win10 high DPI scaling issue.

To fix, try the following:

- Right-click AstroImageJ.exe icon and select Properties

- select Compatability tab in Properties dialog

- Click on Change high DPI settings (near bottom of dialog)

- In High DPI scaling override section (bottom section), check the Override high DPI scaling behaviour check box

- In the drop-down, I selected System (Enhanced) but other options may be worth trying

Before applying these settings, the visibility of measurements table text was poor on my 2560x1440 resolution display, but OK on a 1280x1024 display. Applying System (Enhanced) setting fixed the issue on the high res display.

Post edit: example of settings change on measurements.txt
Default_DPI_Setting.JPG
High_DPI_scaling_override.JPG

Richard Lee

Ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-older-apps-or-programs-compatible-with-windows-10-783d6dd7-b439-bdb0-0490-54eea0f45938