Can't open stacks in AIJ any longer - StackOverflowError

Can't open stacks in AIJ any longer - StackOverflowError

cduston
This post was updated on .
So I am getting some new behavior from AIJ - I can no longer open stacks of images. I noticed this on my Pop_OS system (which I think is based on Ubuntu 22.04) last week, but I've checked again on my Slackware system:

$ uname -a
Linux Zonadar.home.org 6.2.11-cld #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Apr 17 11:04:26 EDT 2023 x86_64 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
$ cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 15.0

The behavior is that 1) I open a single file from the main window, which works fine. 2) On the new window (with the image), I select File -> Open Image Sequence in New Window, 3) Doesn't open, instead I get a long error message starting with PatternSyntaxException (attached here).

This is at least reproducible in other directories on my machine, and appear to be true for both distros I've tried this one (Pop_OS and Slackware).

Oh, and I'm running 5.3.2.00, and checked update status by trying to force update to daily build. Also tried a simple reinstall of AIJ, no dice.

I have played with the memory settings a little bit, but mostly shooting in the dark, just turning down the memory and threads settings, but behavior still occurs.

Any further advice?

AIJ 5.3.2.00; ImageJ 1.54h2; Java 18.0.1 [64-bit]; Linux 6.2.11-cld; 291MB of 23
936MB (1%)

java.lang.StackOverflowError
	at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11GraphicsDevice.pGetBounds(Native Method)
	at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11GraphicsDevice.getBounds(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/sun.awt.X11GraphicsConfig.getBounds(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.init(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Dialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.desktop/java.awt.Dialog.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at ij.gui.GenericDialog.<init>(GenericDialog.java:127)
	at ij.gui.GenericDialog.<init>(GenericDialog.java:118)
	at ij.plugin.FolderOpener.showDialog(FolderOpener.java:628)
	at ij.io.Opener.openZip(Opener.java:1066)
	at ij.io.Opener.openImage(Opener.java:391)
	at ij.plugin.FolderOpener.getFileCount(FolderOpener.java:956)
	at ij.plugin.FolderOpener.showDialog(FolderOpener.java:673)

(and then it repeats the last 5 lines over and over)

PS: Actually, when I switch to a different directory I get a *slightly* different error message - but error occurs in the same place:

AIJ 5.3.2.00; ImageJ 1.54h2; Java 21.0.1 [64-bit]; Linux 6.2.11-cld; 279MB of 16
000MB (1%)

java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Stack overflow during pattern compilatio
\.zip
	at java.base/java.util.regex.Pattern.error(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.regex.Pattern.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.String.split(Unknown Source)
	at java.base/java.lang.String.split(Unknown Source)
	at ij.astro.util.ZipOpenerUtil.getFilesInZipImpl(ZipOpenerUtil.java:45)
	at ij.astro.util.ZipOpenerUtil.getFilesInZip(ZipOpenerUtil.java:37)
	at ij.io.Opener.openZip(Opener.java:1063)
	at ij.io.Opener.openImage(Opener.java:391)
	at ij.plugin.FolderOpener.getFileCount(FolderOpener.java:956)
	at ij.plugin.FolderOpener.showDialog(FolderOpener.java:673)

EDIT: Tried resetting via this thread, didn't work: http://astroimagej.170.s1.nabble.com/Java-exception-when-trying-to-import-image-sequence-td1944.html

MORE EDIT: I rewound to version 5.0.0, and that seems to work (on Slackware at least). I'll stick with the old versions for the moment.

Re: Can't open stacks in AIJ any longer - StackOverflowError

cduston
Ah! That actually fixed the problem entirely. I updated from 5.0 to 5.1 to 5.2 to 5.3 to daily, and full functionality has been restored.

At least on Slackware, so it's clearly some kind of strange local settings issue.

Hope no one else read this thread and did anything :-)

Re: Can't open stacks in AIJ any longer - StackOverflowError

Thanks for documenting your problem and fix. I'm not sure what is going on here, but we'll investigate to see if we can duplicate and correct.

Re: Can't open stacks in AIJ any longer - StackOverflowError

We have not been able to duplicate this problem, and can't see how it occurs in code. There must be something we are missing though. If anyone sees this happen again, please capture as much about the exceptions as you  can (like above) and try to document as much detail about the steps you took to see the problem (again, as was done above), as well as specific files or folders that cause the problem.

Re: Can't open stacks in AIJ any longer - StackOverflowError

cduston
I appreciate following up here, but I have also been unable to reproduce the error. Which is disturbing, since I experienced it on two different machines. I guess that makes me feel it's related to the cloud storage I use (Google Drive via Insync) - maybe possible that AIJ / ImageJ had trouble looking through files in folders with strange modification dates. I tried to test that by opening some files in AIJ, deleting them on the drive, and then reopening, but I got expected results ("cannot find file", rather then this StackOverflow error).

Anyway, yes, if anyone else sees this please post! (And I will do the same). Thanks!