AIJ suddenly slows my High end PC to a crawl!

AIJ suddenly slows my High end PC to a crawl!

pablotwa
Hi Karen and everybody

My PC is an 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz   3.40 GHz 64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable) and AFTER I encountered this problem, I updated to JAVA 8 dated 16 April 2024. Suddenly when importing science slices the CPU usage goes to 100% and I have  to use the task manager to shut it off and then it takes a while...then, I Upgraded the memory allocation to 20000MB to see if that was the problem to no avail.

It was working great till yesterday..I scanned for viruses and or malawares but found none..

What am I do it wrong?

Thanks in advance

Pablo Lewin

Re: AIJ suddenly slows my High end PC to a crawl!

Hi Pablo,

AIJ uses a built in version of java rather than the system java, unless you take specific steps to override the default java package delivered with AIJ. I suspect that you have not changed that AIJ java settings, so when you updated your system java to JAVA 8 dated 16 April 2024, I don't think that should relate to the AIJ issue you are seeing.

One possibility could be that your java installer deleted all other java on your machine??

I'd recommend just downloading and installing the latest AIJ installation package to see if it makes a difference.

Re: AIJ suddenly slows my High end PC to a crawl!

pablotwa
Hi Karen

yes thank you, I also downloaded and installed a fresh AIJ package to no avail. When I execute AstroimageJ.exe it starts slowly and it immediately the CPU usage goes to 50%..this is on a high end Dell gamer computer...then when I try to open a slice..just one..it take a long time to start andthe usage goes to 90%....

This just happened., I'm at a loss..anyway, I will keep trying to get it to work otherwise I will have to use another PC...by the way, I made sure all drivers are up to date and that there are no viruses or malawares in my computer.

I also made sure the memory allocation in AIJ is suitable...

Anyway I thought this was a common problem that I could fix by changing some settings but obviously it goes deeper and it affects only MY computer so I will have to do a deep dive and find out where the conflict lies, should I find the problem and hopefully a solution I will post it here in orer to help the group.

Take care and thanks again!

Pablo

Re: AIJ suddenly slows my High end PC to a crawl!

Hi Pablo,

Do you have virus protection running other than Windows Defender? Maybe try disabling those temporarily to see if it helps.

The only time I have seem a roughly consistent behavior is when I have a program called Acronis True Image installed. It must have some monitoring that slows AIJ. Did you happen to install that program, or something else that would be watching files on disk? I haven't tried Acronis True Image again lately, so I'm not sure it still causes a slowdown.

Re: AIJ suddenly slows my High end PC to a crawl!

pablotwa
Hi Karen

I waited to reply to your last post in order to run some tests and other stuff. this is what I have done so far.

1) I ran a full and deep microsoft virus scan including a deep bios off line defender scan..nothing found

2) Uninstalled java 8 completely.

3) made sure that no other virus app was installed or running including any app by Acronis..

4) Uninstalled a Variable star program called Phoranso that I installed last week

All to no avail..

My next step will be to run the computer in safe mode to see if I can get AIJ to function properly, absent that I'm out of options and ideas.

The rest of the Computer programs even the high end process intensive programs all function perfectly well.

AIJ still uses 98% of the processor resources and I have no idea why..

Will keep looking for answers, till then I will have to use another computer for AIJ

Oh well.

Thank you Karen for the ideas.

Pablo