AIJ stops photometry on random images

roconnor
Hi all, I am having some trouble performing aperture photometry. The photometry process will halt at a random point, say, image #52 of 163 (the number is different for different image stacks), and not throw any error messages or anything. It just stops as if it is complete. If I restart AIJ, the same thing happens. It is not a centroid error, as it is specifically set to not halt at centroid errors. The images are stable so there isn't much star movement, if any at all, so I'm stumped. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks! Rachel

Re: AIJ stops photometry on random images

Hi Rachel,

This has been a know problem with AIJ for some users for a while. It seems to be related to fitting a transit to a partial dataset while the photometry is running, or it could just be that the plotting cannot keep up with the photometry for small images and/or few apertures and something goes wrong (although it shouldn't). I have made some improvements recently trying to solve this problem. If you haven't updated to the latest daily build, please do that first by following the easy steps at the first post here:

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/After-a-fresh-installation-of-AIJ-be-sure-to-update-to-the-latest-build-td142.html

If the problem still occurs, it would be helpful for my troubleshooting if you could try two different ideas to see which resolves the problem.

1) Disable any transit fits in the Multiplot_Y-data panel while photometry is running. In other words, change any "Fit Modes" of () to "" (or to any setting other than the transit fit).

2) If number one does not solve your problem, completely disable plotting updates while your photometry is running. To do that, on the Multi-Aperture setup panel, disable "Update table and plot while running" as shown here:

Then, after photometry finishes, click the Multi-Plot icon on the toolbar () and the results will be plotted.

-Let me know if #1 or #2 solves your problem.

Thanks!

Karen

On 12/11/2017 8:51 AM, roconnor [via AstroImageJ] wrote:
Hi all, I am having some trouble performing aperture photometry. The photometry process will halt at a random point, say, image #52 of 163 (the number is different for different image stacks), and not throw any error messages or anything. It just stops as if it is complete. If I restart AIJ, the same thing happens. It is not a centroid error, as it is specifically set to not halt at centroid errors. The images are stable so there isn't much star movement, if any at all, so I'm stumped. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks! Rachel

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/AIJ-stops-photometry-on-random-images-tp934.html
To start a new topic under AstroImageJ, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from AstroImageJ, click here.
NAML

Re: AIJ stops photometry on random images

roconnor
Hi Karen, #1 seems to solve the problem! Thanks!